Restaurants and food businesses can operate under Alert Level 3 so long as the sale and collection of food items are contactless.
If you do decide to reopen your business, as well as keeping your food safe and suitable, you will be required to keep your staff and customers safe by implementing some additional hygiene practices into your daily operations.
Chomp has created a reopening guide for food businesses and a new daily checklist which includes some stricter hygiene and cleaning tasks. These COVID-19 checklists will be added to our Digital Food Safety App so you can manage all of your usual food compliance processes and any COVID-19 related practices in one place.
Chomp’s checklist includes information about how to:
- communicate with staff during this time
- manage staff wellbeing
- re-enter your food business and what you need to check for
- clean and sanitise for reopening
- track customers for contact tracing purposes
- prepare for face to face business at Level 2 and 1
- be audit-ready
Additionally, we have created a generic window ready “Keeping Safe” info sheet for your food business, outlining a few of the things you might be doing to protect your customers at Level 3. You may want to stick it on the window for customers who are picking up food via contactless pick up, or add it to your takeaway or delivery bags.
Finally, for any food businesses that are new to takeaway and delivery, please make sure you review the Ministry of Primary Industries website to understand any changes you may need to consider, especially in regards to the packaging and transportation of food. Also, let your Registration Authority (New Zealand Food Safety or your local council) know, by email or phone, that you want to add takeaway operations to your scope.
The Chomp team are also available to help you navigate food safety compliance during Alert Level transitions.
- A downloadable version of Chomp's reopening checklist
- “Keeping Safe” info sheet – A4 size
- “Keeping Safe” info sheet – A5 size
- Hand washing technique sign
- Like us on Facebook for any new updates regarding food compliance
- Follow us on Instagram and LinkedIn
- Book time with us for any Chomp support you require